Thursday, December 9, 2010

February Madness?

In retrospect, I'm not sure why I was quite so fired up about this but I decided to enter a bunch of IPAs in the Hop Madness IPA Bracket Challenge next February. I'm now in the process of brewing a lot of beer. Or certainly a lot for me:
  1. Imperial IPA
  2. English IPA
  3. Rye IPA
  4. Cascadian Dark Ale (Black IPA)
  5. American IPA
I started at the top of the list and worked to the bottom. The Impy is smelling and tasting just lovely. Dry-hopping is a beautiful thing. The English IPA is overdue to be racked to the secondary, and it's just about secondary time the Rye and for the Cascadian. Hope I end up with quality and quantity rather than just the latter. Brew days seemed to go pretty well except for the Rye IPA. I was trying to get close to the recipe for Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic. I cranked the mill way down to crush the rye and added some flaked rye, and the combination seemed to want to turn the mash into concrete. I added some rice hulls, but not nearly enough for 30% of the mash being rye porridge. Fortunately, the ginormous false bottom saved me, but it was still a case of surviving the sparge rather than conducting the sparge.

My next challenge is trying to figure out what to do as everything comes out of the fermentors. I'm going to need some help drinking all this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment