Monday, July 26, 2010

Framboise Guess

I brought my Framboise Clone to Beerstock, and it generated a lot more interest than I thought it would. As a result of various discussions I promised a bunch of people that I'd provide the recipe, but you guys are going to have to settle for my best guess, because I can't find the version that I printed out and scribbled on.

The biggest problem is that I think I skipped pitching the Safale US-05 along with the Lambic Blend, but the non-updated version on my hard drive says I that I used it. Even so, I deleted it out of the listing here. I think the berries ended up being a pound and a half, and the times for primary/secondary are a little sketchy. (Sorry, guys.)

Getting the fruit was reasonably easy. The berries I got from Costco. You can order the raspberry juice concentrate from "FruitFast." The berries look kinda weird after a couple of days in the fermentor. This photo of the "ghost raspberries" shows how much lighter the beer was before adding the concentrate.


Lindeman's Framboise Clone


Expected Original Gravity: 1.058
Guestimated Alcohol: 6.5% A.B.V.
Calculated Bitterness: 11.7 IBU (Tinsleth)

Malt Bill
5 lbs. / 2.26 Kg Pilsner
2.5 lbs. / 1.13 Kg Wheat
1.5 lbs. / 0.68 Kg Crystal 20

Hop Bill
0.75 oz / 21g Saaz Boil - 60 3.3 AA

Yeast:
Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend

Extras:
2 lbs. Raspberries
32 ounces Raspberry juice concentrate
1¾ cups baker’s Splenda (measures like sugar!)

1. Mash at 150° F.
2. Sparge to collect 4.5 gallons of wort.
3. Boil 75 minutes, adding hops at times indicated.
4. Chill to 68°F, oxygenate well, pitch and primary ferment for two days.
5. In a bowl, add enough almost boiling water to cover the fruit. Add fruit/water to the primary and ferment for two weeks.
6. Rack, add juice and enough boiled water to bring the batch up to 5 gallons and ferment for two weeks.
7. Transfer to secondary fermentor and age for six months.
8. Add Splenda to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment